A woman is like a TEA BAG - you never know how strong she is until she gets into HOT WATER. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, January 22

Week-long Frittata

Most Sundays, I make a breakfast frittata to last me through the week.


This helps to keep my brain from getting creative ideas for breakfast (always a bad thing) while sluggishly and brainlessly meandering into the kitchen at 5:30am each weekday morning.  When I am half-awake, it is not the best time to try to decide what to eat.  Usually, the final choice ends badly and I blow through entirely too many empty calories before I even start my day. 

Here is what I usually toss into my frittata - and don't laugh until you try it for yourself! 



On-the-fly recipe:
10 eggs - whole eggs (I know - probably bad, but it is what it is.)
1/4 cup 1% milk
Salt & Pepper
1 can Margaret Holmes Hoppin' John (don't you turn your nose up!)
Couple handfuls of crushed Cheez Its (yes, you read that right.)

Turn your stove dial to medium, Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

Spray a large L-A-R-G-E, oven-safe skillet with Pam Spray - or if you have high maintenance Calphalon pans like I do, pour a glug of olive oil into the pan and wipe around the bottom and edges.  Curse your pan for the 1000th time for being high maintenance.

Once pan is warmed up, add in the slightly drained can of hoppin' john, add in the crushed cheez its.  toss around with a spatula (because that is my tool of choice - it is hereditary - I get it from my mama "Helgene.") 

Quickly whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.  Add in to the pan.  Spread everything around evenly and let the frittata cook for about 7 minutes - until the bottom is set. 

Carefully move your pan to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.  When timer goes off, check the frittata by pressing on the center - if it bounces back, your frittata is done.  Pull out of the oven WITH OVEN MITTS.  Can you tell that I have burned myself over and over again by not using mitts? 

Let frittata cool completely, slice into triangles and toss into a tupperware container for next week's breakfasts. 

To reheat, place a slice onto a plate, warm at 50% power for 1 minute or so.  Enjoyed best with a side of homemade guacamole and a slice of wheat toast!  YUM!


No comments: