A woman is like a TEA BAG - you never know how strong she is until she gets into HOT WATER. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, December 19

New gray hair...


I think I worry more than some moms.  Maybe more than most moms.  It is a habit that has been fastidiously passed down from 3 generations.  It all started with my Great Grandma Edell - she was a worrier in the utmost sense.  I can remember being bored out of my gourd at her house growing up and one of my favorite activities was to walk circles around her coffee table.  I'd start out slow and then gradually pick up the pace until I was flying around that coffee table like a dog chasing it's tail.  Great Grandma would sit there in her rocking chair and worry the tissue in her hand to death watching me.  She always kept a tissue in her hand for times like this, and also to wipe condensation from the bottoms tea glasses as the women (and little Candace) sat at the table clipping coupons after Sunday dinner.  Great Grandma gave those tissues a work out!  So Great Grandma passed the worrying bug along to her daughter, my Grandma Louise.  Grandma Louise worried, but she wasn't one to sit and worry - that woman would work!  She did her worrying while working - she didn't smile very often and that would let me know that she was worrying.  Grandma Louse then gave my mom the gift of worry and somehow I eventually got it.  It's catching.  I am not quite sure when the worrying started, maybe in middle school, but I have it honed now into a fine art.  (And because I am worrying, I have recently told my mom that she can't worry anymore because I need her to tell me how everything is going to be ok.) 

Over the last few weeks, I've accumulated quite a new crop of gray hair, which I can attribute to Miles' penmanship (or lack thereof.)  The poor little guy just couldn't get the knack of holding his pen/pencil (and usually marker) properly.  This led to shakey letters and that led to pen throwing.  Besides all of that, he looked terribly uncomfortable.  The whole time, of course, I am worrying... and thinking that maybe I should asked Jennifer and Amy J if their kids were writing perfectly at this point.   

Well, I am happy to report that Miles is holding his marker properly - thanks to Mrs. Kelly at the preschool!  (All that worrying for nothing!) 

Just look at him go!


No comments: