A woman is like a TEA BAG - you never know how strong she is until she gets into HOT WATER. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday, November 20

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits - Day Two


Refusing to be defeated, I bought more flour on Sunday and went at it again.  I didn't buy the self-rising flour my Grandma's recipe called for because I didn't think I'd get good use out of it - and I found another recipe in my Pioneer Woman cookbook that called for all-purpose flour, so being thrifty I used that recipe.

Pioneer Woman's Buttermilk Biscuits
Makes 18 to 24 Biscuits

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup cold butter (5 1/2 tbsp cut into pieces)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees (425 degrees worked best for my oven.)

In large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.  Stir together.

Add the shortening and cold butter pieces.

With a pastry blender or two butter knives, cut in the shortening and butter mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Pour in the buttermilk and mix gently with a fork until just combined.

The biscuit dough will be sticky, not overly dry and crumbly.

Lightly flour a clean surface.  Turn the dough out onto the floured surface and roll to a 1/3 - 3/4 inch thickness depending on how thick you like your biscuits.

Cut rounds with biscuit cutter and place them in a baking dish or on a cookie sheet. 

Bake for 11 - 14 minutes (I baked mine for 9 minutes) until golden brown.  Do not underbake or the biscuits will be doughy.

Batch 1 - this is when I realized I needed to turn the oven down to 425 degrees:


Batch 2 - this is when I decided to shorten the cooking time from 11 minutes down to 9 minutes:


Batch 3 - baked at 425 for 9 minutes - perfect... but not as good as Grandma LaTrelle's... Guess I will have to break down and buy that bag of self-rising flour afterall.


No comments: