A woman is like a TEA BAG - you never know how strong she is until she gets into HOT WATER. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, November 29

Lack of planning head...


So I've been emailing back and forth with Mia since, oh, I don't know - maybe November 1st.  She needed BIG ideas because she was hosting Thanksgiving at her new house - in-laws and all!  It had to be perfect and she was going to pull out all the stops.  She was on it - she was all over it - and Hobby Lobby had better watch out and Target and every other large, megastore in Illinois!  I haven't seen a picture of her table or the lovely wheat centerpieces she created, but I know it must have been beautiful.  She promptly texted me a picture of the silverware rolled into napkins and tied with ribbon and leaves gilded with each person's name.

This is how they turned out...




So I start realizing that I have done nothing - NOTHING to get ready for Thanksgiving and Pottery Barn catalogs keep showing up in my mailbox - like everyday!  How many versions of Thanksgiving can they do?  Do they not realize that my Super Walmart cannot keep up with their lovely table settings?  I try, let me tell you - I still try.

Off I go to Walmart - at 10:30pm on Tuesday night, because I will not be caught dead with those frantic people on Wednesday.  People in Effingham get crazy the day before a holiday.  I don't have a license to carry my gun either.  (Had I been born in Effingham, I would have had that, ya know?)  So I have big plans to buy bolts of burlap because I am going for the whole "elegantly rustic" Pottery Barn look, a la Walmart prices. Walmart has recently decided that we aren't as country as we look and don't need a fabric counter - no bolts of burlap.  Instead I buy a burlap-esque tablecloth and I am on my way!

Here is what I was doing at 1:30am - ever heard of tea staining?  Geez.

Grab a few index cards, cut into thirds.  Then snips the edges off each third and hole punch.

 
Make up a mixture of tea and coffee to get a deep, rich color. Dip each card into the tea for a few minutes.


But since it was almost sunrise at this point, I decide that I did not have the sanity to stand at the counter holding each tag in a tea cup, so I soak them overnight...


Then the next morning, I pull them out and lay across a cookie rack to dry.



Aren't they cute?  (I am sick!)

This is what they look like tied to my napkin rolls - see my burlap-esque tablecloth?!


This makes me happy for some reason...

Oh, I really need to get out more often - this is crazy!

Hope all of you turkeys had a happy Thanksgiving!!!!  Gobble Gobble Gobble!

No comments: