A woman is like a TEA BAG - you never know how strong she is until she gets into HOT WATER. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday, April 9

A couple of extra holes in the head...

I collect cookbooks and I think I have a pretty expansive collection.  Last week on a lunch hour trip to Sam's, I added a couple more cookbooks to my collection (and I needed these like a couple of holes in my head!) 

I never meant to collect cookbooks - it just happened.  I think my first may have been a Betty Crocker cookbook from when I was a tweenager.  I remember making a microwaveable chocolate cake in a mug.  I made this several times at my dad's house and my stepbrother, Christopher, was the guinea pig.   My next cookbook was Paula Deen's first cookbook.  This was before Paula had a show and she still operated in her charming, single-story restaurant on St. Julian Street. 

I have a lot of cookbooks now and this is partly due to gifts from my mom and Aunt Marsha-Marsha-Marsha.  Cookbooks make me happy! 

So here are my latest additions...


I am almost finished reading My Southern Food. It reminds me a lot of the recipes that I grew up eating at Great Grandma's on Sundays and at my Grandma Louise's. I must admit, when I got to the "Cakes" section of the cookbook and realized that this "southern" cook uses a vanilla frosting recipe on her red velvet cake, well, I am not so sure this person is completely in touch with her southern roots. Red velvet cakes are iced with cream cheese frosting. Period. Other than this one single deviation from good southern values, it is an excellent cookbook for homey, family style recipes.

The second cookbook that I bought and have successfully snuck into my house is...


This one I've only peaked into - so standby for a detailed report. 

Both can be purchased at Sam's Club for exactly $10.42.  Enjoy!

No comments: