A woman is like a TEA BAG - you never know how strong she is until she gets into HOT WATER. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, May 13

Anxiety is my name...

Hello, I am Mrs. Anxiety Murphy. Nice to meet you! I might look all put together, especially when I give you my stock answer, "sure, I can come/do/cook/make/attend that!"  In reality, I am a psychological people pleaser and have not yet learned how to say "no, I just can't."   I am like most over-committed mothers/wives/friends who have the best intentions... I look the part, but I am usually freaking out inside, knowing that I've promised too much of myself all over the place.  God bless us people pleasers!  It isn't until later that I realize that I really can't handle all of these obligations and I become quite overwhelmed.  Thus begins the typical stages of panic.


A couple of weeks ago, the classic over-committed scenario unfolded - multiple things to cook, multiple places to be and all for one mama to do.   

Lessons Learned:

1. Psychological people pleasers end up going postal - and not at the post office.

2. I need to dust off my Day Planner and use it for everything.

3. Misery comes to those who try to be everything to everyone all of the time.

4. When I over-commit, I over-guilt because of a shortage of time for my husband and family.

5.  My new stock answer is "Sorry, I can't."  No looking back.  (My real friends are beaming - I can just feel it!)

No comments: