A woman is like a TEA BAG - you never know how strong she is until she gets into HOT WATER. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, May 29

The stand-in... Green Tea

I have a love affair with sugar.  I don't eat it by the spoonful, but several weeks ago when I started the South Beach Diet, I realized just how much sugar I was consuming on a daily basis. 

Start with my daily fave - Emperors Bride hot tea (found only at The Tea Room on Broughton Street.)



Each cup gets approximately 2 teaspoons of sugar goodness and the result is a caramelly-divine cup of amber heaven.  I know a thing or two about tea.  Born and raised in Savannah, GA, sweet tea runs through my veins.  Additionally, I am a hot tea connoisseur - this status is achieved only after years of intense study and tasting.  I completed my studies at The Tea Room in downtown Savannah and at other various imposter tea rooms over the years.  I also have a British friend who has furthered my education on "proper tea" (PG Tips)



and the process through which different classes of people in England take their tea.  Milk into the cup first and then the tea for commoners; alternately, tea first and then milk for those in a higher class.  Don't mess with me - I know my tea.

This does not constitute good tea... 



If you are drinking the above featured dishwater, please stop now, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200 and go straight to 7 East Broughton Street, Savannah, GA...



Tell them Mrs. Murphy sent you.

Now comes the sacrilege.  Sadly, trying to cut back on the decadence of sugar, I decided I must forego my first love, Emperors Bride.  Splenda is not an option, it destroys the depth of flavor in my Emperors Bride, so I cannot consciously cheapen my little slice of heaven by adding the packet of yellow.  Thankfully, I discovered that I can cut out sugar and still have my hot cuppa' in the morning if drink green tea.  It  gives me the jolt I need, plus it adds loads of antioxidants and flavonoids, revs my metabolism and fights against all sorts of deadly demons (cancer, heart disease, etc. etc.) - and can be improved with the slightest sprinkling of the yellow packet.

So, if like me you are trying to cut down on sugar, green tea might work for you.  Here is my pick for best flavor... 
(Please note that this in no way will ever come close to the sheer satisfaction nor heavenly transcendence of a cup of Emperors Bride tea.) This is only a mere stand-in, a shadow in the midst of perfection...

No comments: