A woman is like a TEA BAG - you never know how strong she is until she gets into HOT WATER. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, June 9

Great Grandma's Buttons...

My Great Grandma was an amazing woman. She was 92 when she passed away a few months ago. She loved to do word finds, watch soap operas (she called these her "stories") and she raised 4 kids in the south, having not ever worn pants, never missed a Sunday of church, nor learned how to drive! (How is a woman to escape from it all without being able to drive?) That was just it - in her day they didn't need to do that.

The woman was sharp as a tack. She couldn't hear a thing until some of us grandchildren started whispering at the table behind her recliner and she'd let us know quick that she knew what we were talking about! Sassy didn't cover it!

Great Grandma had an amazing collection of aprons - I love aprons! I never knew she liked them too! She quilted - I love quilts! I guess some of my favorite things of hers are the skeleton keys that I have hanging on a ribbon in my kitchen. My mom recently gave me a third one to add to my collection. Great Grandma's house was old - and those skeleton keys opened all of the doors in that house. The ceilings were so low, because apparently people back then didn't grow as tall as they do now, so some of the men in the family have been known to bend down when passing through the doorways.

Great Grandma had a beautiful, old sewing machine. The kind that is built into a cabinet with a peddle underneath. I used to sit at that sewing machine and absentmindedly peddle faster and faster, not knowing what was going on under the lid of the cabinet! Later, I discovered all of her old buttons. Those that had matches were strung onto thread and tied off, so that they didn't get separated. I love that. Somehow I was blessed to get that tin of buttons and sat down the other day to go through them. Here are a few of my favorites...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the buttons!! I have some of my grandmother's buttons too! I loved playing with them when I was a kid!