A woman is like a TEA BAG - you never know how strong she is until she gets into HOT WATER. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, July 7

Dollar Tree ... a treasure trove of things!



If you haven’t been to your local Dollar Tree lately, you might want to stop by ... before your trip to Walmart. Here is what I found the last time Jessica Brady and I hit the Dollar Tree on Hwy. 80 in Garden City. Most (if not all) of these items are sold at the Rincon Dollar Tree too!

Let me start with the most important item:

Nature’s Own Honey Wheat Bread and White Wheat Bread.
You will pay $1.88 and $1.98 at Wal-mart (or $2.98 at Fresh Market!) for this same bread that you can buy every day of the week for $1 at Dollar Tree in Rincon and Garden City! Yes, it is fresh daily - I have never ran into a loaf that wasn't completely squishy fresh. I got this little tip from Amy Quick over a year ago and I have been getting my bread there ever since!


Seasonal/Holiday decorating/houseware items
Summer items included straw hats, canvas bags (think Lands End canvas, only thinner), floats, swimmies, beach balls, fiesta party decorations, 4th of July baskets, plates, cups, serving pieces & décor, pool noodles, water guns, hard plastic plates/cups for outdoor dining, matching plastic tablecloths, etc.

Silk Flowers
These yellow cuties came from Dollar Tree! Told ya I was finished with real flowers for the window boxes! I have some beautiful hot pink ones in a box outside my kitchen window too! It's all in the arranging!



Greeting/Birthday cards
There are some cute ones! You might have to spend an extra few minutes to find something fun, but they are there for the taking!

Assorted packs of blank/birthday/thank you cards
I bought a pack and discovered that I could run them right through my office printer!

Party supplies
Assorted primary & pastel (matching) plates, cups, napkins, cutlery, signs and party hats. Printed cellophane bags, gift tags of all kinds, favor boxes, curling ribbon, filler paper (the shredded kind), gift bags galore.

30 Sheets of Primary & Pastel Tissue Paper
This miight not sound that exciting upon first glance, but let me tell you - I go through a ton of tissue paper because I like to wrap gifts in cellophane and use tissue paper inside the cellophane and the result looks like a piece of wrapped candy. Getting 30 sheets of tissue paper - and two of the colors are lime green and hot pink - this is BIG STUFF for me!

Now we can move on to the stuff that we use on a regular basis – and I was so surprised to find at the Dollar Tree!

Reynolds Aluminum Foil

Gladware Containers

Ajax and Palmolive Dish Liquid

Windex Wipes

Furniture Polish Wipes
– two or three brands (they do not carry Pledge brand though)

Ziploc Baggies – all sizes

Brown paper sacks – good for making cute gift bags - all you need is a hole puncher and some ribbon.

Disposable Aluminum Baking pans, pie plates, cake pans, muffin pans, etc.

Glass condiment cups
I bought two sets of these - I use them for measuring out spices and vanilla before I start baking. You get 4 glass cups for only $1 (I priced them at Walmart for at least $4 a pack!) They also carry plastic red and white ribbed condiment cups – cute for BBQs or to use to set out ice cream toppings.

Shirt Boxes

Recipe Cards

Post-It Notes – only 2 colors, but still!

Latex Gloves – I keep these for when I chop jalapenos

Dish towels – not the best selection, but if you need some in a pinch

Plastic bins/Plastic Baskets galore – including the plastic red/white striped popcorn set!

Soft Soap brand hand soap – they have the Black Raspberry and Meyer Lemon (my fave!)scents.


Toilet Paper

Paper Towels

Lysol brand cleaners

Movie-size candy
– all the favorites

Libby Brand Canned Veggies

Hunts Ketchup (my fave is Heinz, but in a pinch!)

Glassware of all kinds

Tea light candles – I use these outside on my patio.

Glass rocks – those that you can use in vases, craft projects and fish tanks

Florist wire, florist pliers, florist Styrofoam (all sizes)

Frames – cheap, but if you need to frame a document or make a framed sign - they are there for the taking.

VITAMINS!
Now, I am not going to stop buying the brands we use daily, but I did find some Fish Oil and Calcium with Vitamin D that I bought - can't beat it for $1! They expire in 2012.

Check out the Dollar Tree before your weekly Walmart shopping trip (drudgery.) If you are like me and you can't stand that Wal-mart gets all of your money, especially since they continue to get slack about carrying some of our favorite products... Might as well spread the money around and for a buck - I am in!

No comments: